I have always loved reading and am so proud we have instilled the same love of books in our son at an early age. We read books every night as part of our routine – he picks the books and settles in for story time with Daddy and couldn’t be happier. Check out our favourite books for age 3-5 and then enter the Write Mama’s amazing Kobo Mini giveaway!
1. The New Adventures of Curious George – that little monkey is always very curious. This collection has 8 favourite titles including Curious George Makes Pancakes and Curious George Goes to a Movie. We like the index which shows a picture with each title so my son can point to the story he wants to read.
2. Munschworks 1, 2, 3 and 4 by Robert Munsch – my husband read these books growing up and bought my son the whole collection before he was even born. Our 4 year old loves these stories which are full of fun and drama with great illustrations.
3. Alphabet Mystery, Alphabet Adventure and Alphabet Rescue by Audrey Wood – This is a great set of books for preschoolers and up; we love it because our son is learning about the alphabet and he loves it just because it is awesome. We ordered these through Scholastic.
4. Alligator Pie by Dennis Lee – this is a collection of poems for children. We fell in love with the Alligator Pie poem when we first heard it on the Treehouse program 4 Square. We received the book as a gift and I was surprised how much my preschooler enjoys hearing these poems with a distinct Canadian flavour.
5. Linger by Marny Duncan Cary – my husband ordered this book by Saskatchewan singer-songwriter Marny Duncan-Cary based on her song Linger. The book captures a mother’s feelings of loss and pride on the first day of school. I’d like to linger a little longer too before we have to start Kindergarten…
6. Can You Find Boo? At the theatre by Rebecca Elgar – my son never gets tired of this book at 5 years old although we received it as a gift when he was a toddler. It’s peekaboo design keeps it fun every time and I love the early introduction to the arts!
7. Bob’s Big Story Collection – if your child is a Bob the Builder fanatic, you will want to purchase this 10 story collection of Bob’s adventures. The stories are all about helping and working together as a team.
8. Clifford the Big Red Dog Book Set – after my son discovered Clifford the Big Red Dog on television, I ordered the paperback book series from Scholastic. I like them because there is a book to match various occasions – Thanksgiving, Christmas, Valentine’s Day, Halloween, the seasons, a birthday party, a loose tooth etc. These books are quick fun reads and Clifford and Emily Elizabeth have a lot of fun on their adventures!
9. The Cat in the Hat by Dr. Suess – one of my childhood favourites…It must be the rhymes that are so catchy; we read this one over and over (and over and over) again. We have two of the award winning Dr. Suess board games “I Can Do That” and “Super Stretchy ABC” and they are excellent.
10. Lego City by various – if your preschooler loves Lego, they are going to love the Lego City books. I won’t pick out any particular titles since there are no classics among them but our son thinks these books rock. They are quick fun reads for the kids and affordable for mom and dad.
Summer Kobo Mini Giveaway
Kids and reading go together like peanut butter and jam and reading and Kobo! I know I’ll be getting a Kobo for my little reader at some point. Imagine not having to tote all those books from place to place on your vacation! And downloading new books from the Kobo store when you need a distraction for your kids? Brilliant!
I am excited to give away not 1, not 2 … but 5 Kobo Minis in this amazing summer giveaway! There will be five winners and lots of ways to enter in the Rafflecopter below. Thank you to the lovely Top 30 Vancouver Mom bloggers from 2012 and 2013 who are helping me spread the word about this awesome giveaway through Facebook and Twitter! The contest will begin at 12 am July 12, 2013 and run for one week. Open to Canada and the US.